Thursday, March 7, 2019

Homeschool Complete Baseball Unit Study Review


It can be refreshing sometimes to try something new and C absolutely loves playing baseball.  He was so excited when I told him that we were going to dive a little deeper into his favorite sport using a Baseball Unit Study by Debra Arbuthnot from Homeschool Complete.  I received a physical copy of this three-week study about famous baseball players, the history of baseball and the science behind the game geared towards grades 4-6.  Homeschool Complete has several Unit Studies (K-6).  I have been using this with both D (grade 4) and C (grade 6).  This unit study includes lesson plans for all subject areas (Language Arts, Math, Social Studies, Science, Fine Arts, P.E., Character Development and Bible) as well as student workbook pages that reinforce the concepts within the study - hence the name Homeschool Complete.

I decided to put our study in a 3 ring binder

I made folders for the kids to keep their completed worksheets and pages organized.

The study has a list of suggested books to check out from the library.  I couldn't find all the books suggested at our local library but I found some as well as other books about baseball that I incorporated into our weeks.

I checked out several baseball books from our local library.

C and D working on their student worksheets

Learning about Casey At The Bat

Both kids really enjoyed researching the names of all the MLB teams.

C working on his baseball logo as part of art.

 C's Baseball Logo

 D's Baseball Logo

C working on his worksheets

Another view

 C looking at cheek cells in the microscope as part of science for the week.

 D looking at cheek cells

 Playing BINGO - the kids liked the numerous activities and games that were incorporated into our learning.

D's BINGO games


Playing Game with D

An example of the math section of a student worksheet


 Batting Practice

We finished this study right before C's 1st baseball game this season!  We all enjoyed it and I think this is a great example of how you can take a topic or interest and utilize it for study across all subjects.  I love that the planning work is done for you and that it is super easy to implement and teach.  I think the age level was right on target.  It was more challenging for D (4th grade) and easier for C (6th grade).  I feel that they both learned a lot.  I also felt that it was a great checking point to see what topics they were already familiar with and which concepts were completely new to them.  I would definitely recommend this program.

 C last night headed to his 1st baseball game of the season.

Be sure to click on the banner below to visit the Homeschool Review Crew blog to read more reviews of Homeschool Complete.

Homeschool Complete K - 4th Grade & Unit Studies {Homeschool Complete Reviews}

It was so fun to try something new with the kids and we all enjoyed learning more about baseball.  I look forward to checking out some of the other unit studies available from Homeschool Complete.  Let me know if you have any questions!

Crew Disclaimer 

No comments: