Saturday, September 14, 2019

Homeschool Organization: Our Homeschool Room



I'm super excited about the current Timberdoodle Blog Hop on Home Organization.  And more specifically, I want to focus on our current "homeschool" home organization.  People often ask me how I homeschool or how I organize our space.  I haven't really shared about this since we moved into our new home a little over a year ago.  I am very blessed in that my new house has a dedicated homeschool space.  It was a 20 x 20 room that we completely redid after moving in.  We put new paint on the walls, installed new flooring, changed the lighting.  It was a project but I am so in love with the result.  Do you have to have a specific homeschool space in order to homeschool?  Absolutely not.  I also want to mention that we do not even complete all of our homeschool material in this room because honestly homeschool is done everywhere!  But I do love having a dedicated space for our homeschool supplies to live and we do a lot of "school" in this space because it's awesome!  I'm probably the most excited by our homeschool library that has accumulated a plethora of rich books over the years.  Enjoy and let me know if you have questions!

This is what you see when you first enter our homeschool room.

This is our teaching/school whiteboard and our homeschool library.

A side view of our library.  I love having this because my kids can read and reread some of their favorite books as they have access to them all year round.

We have some reading cushions and pillows set up for the kids (it's a tiny reading nook).

Next to the whiteboard is our television.

Our couch faces the television so we can watch movies here or use it for educational purposes.

I love that this room has large windows on both sides!

Here are the windows on the opposite side.

The back left corner of the room is a LEGO storage and play area.  The kids play here often building LEGO projects or zooming cars and trains around the room.

A slightly closer view.

Along the back wall we have desks.  We have a 3D printer, a laptop and a computer (these are recent).  The kids have a few things that they work online for school and we are tweaking this part of our set-up.  Of course they can also use the desk space to complete assignments.

Behind our couch and across from the desks we have a table area.  This is great for working on lessons, teaching, and playing games.  This photo was taken standing in the back right corner of the room.

 Here you can see the back right corner of the room.  We have our homeschool bins and a supply bookcase.

Our supply bookcase.  It currently houses books that we are working on and lots of school and art supplies.

Our Homeschool Bins

Above are our current homeschool bins.  I wanted to mention them because we are discussing organization.  I have one for each of the kids as well as one for me.  We just added these this year and I really like them.  The kids keep their current consumable books and things that are specific to them in their own bin while I keep the current teacher guides, answer keys and such in mine to help me find them right away.  These bins have trays at the tops that can hold pencils, pens, crayons, etc. as well so they are super hands as the kids just grab them each morning and go!  I might have to talk more about these in another post.

Be sure to check out the other homeschool organization ideas at the Timberdoodle Blog Hop below!  I'm headed there myself.
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

3 comments:

Kristen of A Mom's Quest to Teach said...

This looks like an awesome area!!! I am a tad jealous and I am hopeful that we will be able to add onto our home soon so we can have a homeschool room (that my husband thinks will be a gaming room).

Karla Cook @ Roads to Everywhere said...

What a great homeschool room! I especially love the windows and reading nook!

Kathryn said...

Thanks ladies! I have dreamed about a space like this for years so it's so fun to finally have.