Friday, April 7, 2017

Once Upon A Time Holy Bible and Storybook Review

I have two new books to tell you about:  Once Upon A Time Holy Bible and Once Upon A Time Storybook Bible.  With the popularity of fairy tales like Disney's new release Beauty and the Beast, Zonderkidz wanted to publish both a storybook Bible and full text Bible that would resonate with fairy tale loving families.  Now, don't worry - the Bible is not a fairy tale - these stories are real and true!

Once Upon A Time Holy Bible

The Once Upon a Time Holy Bible is a full text Bible in NIrV translation.  Within the Bible, there are 6 highlighted stories:  Adam and Eve, Isaac and Rebekah, Ruth, Esther, Mary, and Jesus' Resurrection.  These 6 stories are evenly spaced throughout the Bible.  My daughter E found the beautiful artwork by Omar Aranda reminiscent of her favorite Disney princesses.  She asked who the people were and she was excited to hear their stories, stories that she is already somewhat familiar with.  Now, here is my one complaint.  I wish these stories were not evenly spaced throughout the book.  The biggest problem with this is that the stories are not near where they actually happened in the Bible.  The story of Adam and Eve is placed before Genesis begins which doesn't bother me too much; however, the story of Isaac and Rebekah which takes place in Genesis is in the middle of 1 Samuel.  The story of Ruth is placed in the middle of Psalm instead of near the book of Ruth.  I wish these highlighted illustrated stories were placed near the Bible text of that story.  I understand that they wouldn't be even within the Bible but I would prefer it because as my kids are becoming more familiar with the Bible and its text I want to direct them to the correct content within the books.  My daughters loves the glitter on the cover!  I enjoy that E now has her own full text Bible to call her own, and it's fancy as she would say.

Once Upon A Time Storybook Bible

The Once Upon a Time Storybook Bible is not a full text Bible but instead a storybook of some Bible stories.  Some of these stories include creation, Adam and Eve, Noah and the Ark, Moses, Ruth and Naomi, Daniel and the lions, Jonah, Mary, Jesus' birth, and Zacchaeus just to name a few.  Again, the colorful artwork by Omar Aranda is delightful.  The stories are all short and scripture is referenced with each one as they begin with Once Upon a Time.  They all end with a Happily Ever After and another scripture reference.  I really enjoy that this Storybook points you right to the Bible and how they wrap up each story with the happily ever after section.

The Once Upon a Time Holy Bible is available where books are sold and the Storybook Bible is available at Sam's Club or wherever books are sold.  You can also check out the The Once Upon a Time series here!

Disclosure:  I received my own copy of the Once Upon a Time Holy Bible and Storybook in exchange for my review.  All opinions are my own!

No comments: