Friday, April 12, 2019

Everyday Education Transcripts Made Easy Review


If you are are like me you might feel like high school record keeping, especially transcripts can be overwhelming so I'd like to introduce to you Transcripts Made Easy:  The Homeschooler's Guide to High-School Paperwork from Everyday Education.



I was blessed to receive the digital version of the fourth edition of TME by Janice Campbell.  Janice originally wrote this after she had to create a transcript for her oldest son.  She has since updated it with bonus chapters about special needs homeschooling and skills students need to succeed at university.  It is available as a print book, ebook and a print/ebook combination.  This is a great resource for homeschooling parents of high schoolers.  I wish I had this at the beginning of this school year as A is in 9th grade but better late than never!

One thing to note right away is that this book is about more than just transcripts!  There is a great page that helps you know where to start in this book depending on your situation or needs.  Do you just need help planning?  Is your student in the first two years of high school?  Ding, ding for me with A!  Is your student in Junior High?  Ding, ding again for me with B and C!  Is your student a Junior?  Senior?  Do you need a transcript tomorrow?  Based on your answers to these questions the book guides you and gives you tips on how to proceed.  I love this.

This book is divided into 6 main sections:

  • Meet the Transcript
  • Plan with the End in Mind
  • Keep Simple Records
  • Grades, Credit and the GPA
  • Create the Transcript
  • References, Resources and Reproducibles
Sample Schedule

Just some of the reproducibles you will have access to!

I love how Janice walks you through how to document your student's high school education.  She guides you through planning with the end in mind.  She gives you sample schedules and shows you different ways to implement your schedule.  She also gives your advice on grading.  This has been a bit tricky for me this year so I really appreciate this section.  And my favorite part is the blank templates that I can print out and fill in for my students.  I printed several of these out and I am using them to document A's 9th grade year.  And of course, there are transcripts as well!



I also like the section on skills and habits to cultivate in high school.  I think this is a great thing to be aware of and consider throughout your student's high school years.  Your student should be able to write formal letters, research papers, make proper citations, how to organize information, time management, etc.  Of course every student is unique but I think this is a great reference point for some basic expectations.  Not only is there a section on the first year of college but there is also one on college alternatives.  I appreciate both as I do not know what path my kids will choose.  This truly is a great resource for homeschool parents of high schoolers or soon to be high schoolers.  You can use it as needed.

Be sure to click on the banner below to visit the Homeschool Review Crew blog to read more reviews of Transcripts Made Easy:  The Homeschooler's Guide to High-School Paperwork from Everyday Education.

Transcripts Made Easy: The Homeschooler's Guide to High-School Paperwork {Everyday Education Reviews}

I look forward to thoroughly reading all the sections in this book and using it for all of my kids as needed.  What a great resource!

Crew Disclaimer 

No comments: