Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Rediscovering My Crock Pot

 My leftovers

Yesterday, I made Barley/Black Bean/Corn Bake in my crock pot and felt like I was rediscovering an old friend (in fact, I decided to name my crock pot Silvia).  This was a new recipe for me and it is excellent.  I was excited that it is essentially a one dish meal.  It is meatless and fabulous.  Last night we had it in tortillas with sour cream and salsa.  Tonight I am cooking the mixture in stuffed bell peppers.  I love that this is going to be a diverse recipe that you can really change up for leftovers.  I am so excited that I have two more slow cooker recipes lined up to go!  Thank you Silvia - looking forward to seeing what we make in 2012!

2 comments:

Mamaw's Place said...

I have so many crockpots of various sizes that we have a whole bottom cabinet dedicated to crock pots. Looking at your dish, I'm wondering if there would be a way to adapt it into a soup. I love soup. We have a nice beef cabbage soup simmering in our pot right now. Getting ready to dish into it in about 20 minutes.

Kathryn said...

Thanks for the suggestion! I think if I keep more of the broth base and not cook it as long it would make a tasty soup :)