Thursday, April 5, 2012

Book Review: Charlie No Face


Charlie No Face by David Seaburn is a very engaging story.  I was surprised at how quickly I read this book, two days to be exact.  Seaburn writes extremely well and his ability for character development is amazing and very natural.  This book gives inspiration to a wide range of minor difficulties and major life tragedies.

I was surprised when I found out that this story is loosely based on the story of a man who was a lot like Charlie No Face.  It really made me think about the prejudiced responses I may have towards others as well as how I personally deal with adversity.

Seaburn presents a menagerie of difficult life events through a pre-teen boy's experiences, and what he learns and observes through his relationships.  It is not always pretty, and there were a few scenes that I wanted to really hurry along past the uncomfortable details; but I love the overarching messages within the story.  The boy, Jackie, learns to accept the absence of his mother, deal with his athletic victories and disappointments, matures in his relationships with his father and his friends, begins to experience puberty, and of course has a key encounter with Charlie - and there's a lot more packed into this page-turner.

And Seaburn gives Jackie some great twists - learning to appreciate the positives in challenging situations, possibly just from a different perspective.  This story reminds me of the many blessings I have in my own life.

Disclosure:  I received an autographed copy of this book from the author in exchange for my review.  All opinions are 100% my own.

No comments: