Monday, August 5, 2013

DIY Bird Cages for Bird Themed Baby Shower or Party


I helped co-host a baby shower over the weekend and it was so much fun.  My friend is having her third little girl this October and the theme was birds.  You can do a lot with that!  I made some bird cage lanterns inspired from the Bride's Cafe.  I did make a few changes.  Hope you enjoy this tutorial.

 Scrapbook paper I picked out.  

Our main two colors were pink and green and I wanted to mix in a few fun designs as well.  Really, there are tons of options here.

 Other supplies needed.  

I chose a golden textured scrapbook paper to make the cage.  You will also need scissors, hole punch, thread, double sided tape, brads, ruler, birds (find a template and cut them out) and I used coasters for the base (I had to tape two together because I needed more width but I liked the look better than using ice cream pint lids).

Cut strips

Cut a strip of colored scrapbook paper 1.5 inches wide.  I had to cut two strips and tape a bit of the second strip to the first to go all the way around the cage.  Take your golden paper and cut four strips slightly less than .5 inch (when you fold them over your four strips will seem like 8).

Find the centers of the strips and hole punch them.

I made a small hole in the bird, tied thread on it and put it through the strips.  I secured everything together with a brad.

Tape two coasters together and then place double sided tape all along the sides.

Attach the strips to the tape and then secure your colored scrapbook paper along the sides and voila - finished bird cage!

 We attached them to a baby banner.

 Poof balls and bird cage display

 And another type of banner

As you can see, you can get really creative with what you do with these cages.  If you make these please let me know what you do.

2 comments:

Maura said...

That's really cute!

StarTraci said...

How awesome!I am planning a shower now... I feel a little inspired.
:-)
Traci