Wednesday, May 27, 2020

You Can Draw It in Just 30 Minutes from Timberdoodle Review


I'm back with another great Timberdoodle product, You Can Draw It in Just 30 Minutes by Mark Kistler.  Do you guys remember Commander Mark?  I remember him visiting my elementary school when I was a kid.  He held a drawing lesson for my entire school - it was amazing.  Well, this book was written by him, Commander Mark = Mark Kistler.

Our new book

David had several of his books growing up, still does!  Above is one of them.

This book specifically targets teens and older students (even me!) and focuses on taking 30 minute creative breaks using easy to follow, step-by-step illustrations and instructions to complete a drawing.  The book has tips and techniques specific for each drawing.  There are 4 timed steps to keep you on track to finish in just 30 minutes and I think this is so helpful.

 Lesson Content

 Lesson Content Continued

There are 25 drawing lessons as well as 25 bonus optional drawings that expand on the main lesson.  You will learn to draw a banana, mouth, penguin, bell pepper, seashell, and so much more!  Each lesson tells you the tools that you will need, shows you the basic shapes in the drawing, gives you optional hacks to implement, and teaches you tips and techniques.  The timed slots are broken into 4 different sections:  Draw Your Blueprint, Shape the Shapes, See the Light, and Finish Up.  There is also a drawing page given for each lesson but we chose to create our drawings on separate drawing paper.

Above you can see Lesson 1, drawing a banana.

David's banana drawing from Lesson 1.

 
Above you can see my chair from Lesson 3.

A completing her sunflower drawing from Lesson 8.

 
A closer view of A's sunflower drawing.

 
A's Lesson 13 Bonus Challenge: Sketch A Playing Card House

 A look at the beginning of my tree frog from Lesson 17.

My completed tree frog drawing.

 B drawing a teddy bear in Lesson 20.

 A closer view of B's teddy bear drawing.

A's wedding cake from Lesson 22.

A closer view of A's wedding cake drawing.

This is such a fun drawing book to have on hand!  I appreciate that it's not intimidating and really walks you through the steps of drawing various things.  I think the target for teens and older students is right on track.  You Can Draw It in Just 30 Minutes is part of Timberdoodle's 11th Grade Curriculum Kit.  If you are looking for a drawing book that helps teach you drawing skills without spending a lot of time, this is definitely the book for you!


Disclosure: Huge shout out to Timberdoodle for selecting me as a Timberdoodle Blogger. Timberdoodle sent my family You Can Draw It in Just 30 Minutes in exchange for our honest review.  All opinions are my own.

2 comments:

Meredith @ Wait Til Your Father Gets Home said...

I want this book for myself! haha

Looks fun, and very helpful!

Kristen of A Mom's Quest to Teach said...

All the pictures turned out great! I have never considered myself to be an artist but I like books where things are taken step by step and show the shapes under items.